They say every quilt should have a name, I didn't really think of a name while working on this quilt, but the colors always remind me of a sunset, and the theme is definitely fruit/farming, so I might as well name it by its prominent features.
I started this quilt about 2.5 years ago before I moved in with AB and BM, I wanted to have it done for that room, but, obviously that didn't happen. I had the pieces cut out when I moved to the UK and had a couple of the squares put together. This past winter I did most of the piecing in about a week period, spending probably 20 hours or so on it. It was like a part time job there for a little while. I wasn't sure where to find quilt batting at a reasonable price so I opted to use a duvet instead, cutting out the backing and then sewing the back to the top, stuffing the duvet inside and then quilting it. I don't think I'll do that again. While I like the loft the quilt has for comfort levels (It's nice and soft to sit on!), I think it obscures the design more than I'd like and the process of quilting it was rather difficult, though made extra difficult because I didn't have or use a quilting hoop, which may have been wise to invest in. I just finished the edging this week and am glad to have it done! My difficulties in quilting the duvet also somehow ended up in the duvet shrinking... so, it's now about 1.5 feet shorter than it was intended to be. Very curious. Oh well.
Overall, I really like the quilt! The quilt pattern is called "Farmer's Daughter", but I made it a variation of the traditional block pattern I found by inverting the dark vs. light colors as I wanted something slightly more modern and geometric. I have quilted in cherries and apples (which my family grew).
Pics:
 |
| Finished quilt |
 |
| One block.... see how the extra stuffing of the duvet caused it to get a bit squished... or should I say my lack of skill combined with the duvet? |
 |
| Cherries on the stem |
 |
| Apple on its side |
 |
| On the bed |
No comments:
Post a Comment