23 July 2012

a new camera

after a long time (years?) of thinking about getting a new camera, wanting one that would provide better quality pictures and more features I could play around with... after struggling several days at work to actually get work done instead of just researching cameras.... and after receiving a lovely and generous gift from my co-workers, I bought a new camera. And then, within hours, while getting ready for bed, I thought "what on earth am I doing buying a camera that costs the price of a month and a half's rent in the country I'm moving to?!?" and I decided to go back to the drawing board...

spent another day at work attempting, a little frantically. to decide what I actually wanted that I could get on the cheap(er) side of life and hoping that I could make this decision before the first camera actually shipped. So I bought another camera. A camera that I very much like already, even though I am not yet doing it justice.

It's not a SLR. I decided I won't ever be a professional photographer and I shouldn't be putting myself in a position to buy something that "requires" expensive accessories to do things that I am not yet capable of. So. I bought a "bridge" camera, which initially, when I first realized they were a category 2 weeks ago, seemed like a stupid decision because they're not professional grade and yet they cost so much more than a point and shoot. True and true. But the latter is true because they ARE better quality and you CAN do more. And I now own one. In fact, I own two because said first camera did ship, even though they said they'd cancelled the order. But sorry little SX40... I have put in the ticket for return. You will have to wait to live another day.

Meanwhile, the G11 finds it's second life in my hands. I do wonder if it's first owner knew more about what they were doing with the thing than I do, quite possibly. But that's OK, it gives me something new to learn.







Definitely still learning. But I think this camera and I will take some pictures I will enjoy for a long time. Also to learn: photo editing with RAW, because it can so take the pictures that way. Whatever that is exactly, I guess it's a good thing.

2 comments:

TimTab said...

Rayray! You got a G11... that is so exciting. It's a really god camera. I almost bought one recently and then decided on the fujiX100. Its really nice to have a little(r) camera to take places that doesn't automatically turn you into a target for thieves. :) I love the pictures you've already taken. Especially the first two. Looking forward to seeing more! :)

Justine said...

Great to see what you bought :) I look forward to lots of photos! Just xx