I have recently tried out two new recipes from the book my parents got me for Christmas. Cover of the book is above, by clicking on the picture you will be taken to their blog. I hope this is not against copyright. But I don't think it would be. It's free viral advertising, right?
The "Grapes of Wrap" was good. Basically a chicken salad with grapes, celery, onions, and only a little mayo. Few other spices as well. Tonight, I made the "Comforting Kale and Lentil Soup". Amaazing. Kale is surpisingly good. I think that's one of those foods I thought you had to be Russian (though I don't know why them), or something, to eat. It took a little bit longer on the prep time, but made lots of soup. So, I will be freezing it and eating it for awhile. I don't think I'll be complaining.
Despite what one might think from my last post, I wanted to write briefly a few reasons why I am thankful for President Obama. I may not agree with him on many issues, but he is still the President, and I want to make every effort to be thankful for him and respectful of him. So, this is a brief snapshot of some of what was going through my head around his inauguaration.
-I am thankful that America elected an African-American. I don't mean this in a trite way. Too focus to much on his ethnicity is only to swing the pendulum so far the other direction that MLK Jr.'s speech applies again in an entirely different way. However, when I think back on what this country was like, I am told, even just 40-60 years ago (within President Obama's lifetime) I amazed at how far we have come. It wasn't that long ago that lynchings were common in the south, that a young teenager named Emmet Till dared to whistle at a white woman and was brutally murdered by several white men, that African-Americans weren't even allowed to vote in many states. Think about the force that was used to integrate schools and now realize that we have peacably (and rather happily) elected an African-American to be our President. I am thankful that God has poured out enough general grace on this nation over the last forty years that we have come that far. Because it is a very far way indeed.
-I am also reminded, once again, what an amazing thing it is that the transition of power in our country are as seamless and peaceable as they are. There might be a lot of hot air, but there are no missiles, there are no bombings, and those who risk their lives to vote probably were just driving too fast. That is a blessing as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment