Mr. Eggplant and Miss Carrot Go for a Walk:
A Story About a Colorful Relationship
by Rayanna
One day Mr. Eggplant was feeling blue, which was weird because he's usually pretty purple. Whenever Mr. Eggplant felt blue he tried to find somethign red to do, it usually restored him to more violet hues. He often found that if he read a book, especiall if it was a really good book, by the end of the book he felt a little better and not quite so sickly. However, on this particular day, Mr. Eggplant was sick of reading, but he still needed some medicinal activity. He couldn't think of anything, so he thought he'd try to subsitute his bed for something red. He guloped (which is kind of in-between gullumping and loping) off to his bed and crawled under his lavender quilts for a little pick-me-up nap.
Twenty minutes later Mr. Eggplant was feeling even more queasy and whenever he sat up the room began to spin. "Oh, dear." said Mr. Eggplant, "my room's spinning, I had better get outside before it falls on me!" It took all of his energy, but Mr. Eggplant managed to squirk (that's a combination between squeak and lurch) his way outside. He sat on his fronsteps and tried not to toss his seeds. "Oooooh", moaned Mr. Eggplant, "I don't feel good at all! I'm so blue!"
"Me too," Mr. Eggplant heard a small voice say, "but I'm too red!" Mr. Eggplant looked around him. He saw a cute little carrot sitting on the porch next door. She was very red. Mr. Eggplant felt a little better just by meeting her.
"Hello, seeing your color cheered me up a little", said Mr. Eggplant.
For the first time, the little carrot looked up. "Oh, my!" she exclaimed, "what a lovely shade of blue you are. I feel a little better too. My name is Padpardascha Carrot, you can call me Paddy." She said, as she walked over to Mr. Eggplant and extended her hand.
"Huckleberry Eggplant," said Huckleberry, warmly (and affectionately), shaking her hand, "would you like to go for a walk?" She agreed. So Huckleberry and Padpardascha walked down their winding road. As they walked their colors began to change and they began to feel much better.
"I'm glad I met ou" Mr. Eggplant said in a friendly tone.
"Me too," said Paddy.
When they returned home Huckleberry invited Paddy over for some Yerba Mate. They so enjoyed tea time that they decided to meet everyday in Paddy's garden for a walk and some Yerba.
One afternoon, Paddy had an announcement. "Huckleberry," she began, "I have to go visit my mother. I will be gone two weeks and I don't think I'll be able to come to tea while I'm gone."
"Why, where does your mother live?" queried Mr. Eggplant.
"In Zanahoria, Texas" Paddy replied.
"Oh," he said very quietly, even more quietly than Paddy was when she first spoke to him on the day they met, "I guess you won't be coming to tea while you're gone then. But!" he brightened at this thought, "you'll come to tea the day you get back, won't you?"
"Oh, yes! I wouldn't miss it for all the Vitamin A in the patch! Two weeks from tomorrow I'll be back."
The next morning, when Mr. Eggplant waved goodbye to Miss Carrot she said, " You look a little periwinkle today, Huckleberry [deleted scene for David's sake: "don't forget your vitamins if you need any medicine you're welcome to all that I h" ]. Don't get sick standing out here in the wind. See you soon!" She called out behind her as the taxi drove away.
"See you soon," whumbled (you figure it out) Mr. Eggplant, "come back soon, I'll miss..." he started to say, but he choked on the last word. "I really don't feel well," he thought.
The next morning he didn't feel any better, in fact, he felt worse. He tried reading, but it didn't help. Over the next two weeks he got worse and worse. He tried everything he could think of, he even ate red crayons, but he got bluer and bluer. Finally, after almost two weeks of being a royal shade of blue, Huckleberry got a phone call. It was Paddy. He felt a little bit better as the sound of her voice returned some purple hues to his cheeks. "Paddy," he said, "I'm so glad to hear from you!"
"Huckleberry, I'll be home tonight and I wanted to make sure you were still planning on me for tea tomorrow," Paddy quietly divulged.
Huckelberry couldn't believe she even thought she might not be welcome! How could he bear it if she didn't come for tea the next day? He loved teatime more than any other activity, even more than watching the Foods' Channel. The cheerful conversations, the pleasant company, and beautiful Paddy, smiling into her cup of Yerba. It was such a beautiful thing. What would he do if she wasn't around? "Why look at me," he thought, "I'm already very blue, and she had only been gone two weeks! I need Paddy around. In fact..."
"Huckleberry?" questioned Paddy, interrupting his thoughts.
"Yes, Paddy, of course I'm planning on you for tea. In fact [deleted scene: "I was just thinking I might bring a few karats"], I'm planning a surprise."
"That will be just the thing to cheer me up," said Paddy, "you see, I haven't been quite myself lately."
"Really? Me neither." Huckelberry said, plasurping (that's what you do when you are planning a surprise). Paddy and Huckelberry talked for awhile, by the end of their conversation Huckleberry felt purple enough to go to town. He had some shopping to do.
The next day Huckleberry made a very special tea. He got out his best Yerba and nicest cups. He even picked a bouquet of flowers (from Paddy's garden hehe). When Paddy, who was very red, arrived, she walked in and the house looked, and smelled, lovely. But huckelberry wasn't there to greet her.
"Huck? Where are you?" She called as she walked into the kitchen.
"Surprise!" Exclaimed Huckeberry, who turned a lovely purple when he saw Paddy. "Paddy, without you around I am very blue. If you will marry me, I'll be the purplest eggplant around!"
"Oh, Huckleberry!" Sang Paddy, who had returned to her peachy self, "of course I'll marry you. After all, you make all the rainbows in my world just the right colors!"
Happily Ever After
No comments:
Post a Comment