11 August 2009

Off the bookshelf...or desk....or floor.

Recently read:
The Human Factor, Graham Greene
the Fellowship of the Rings, Tolkien
My Sister's Keeper, Jodi Piccoult
The Butterfly and the Diving Bell, french name I can't remember...
Third Coast, Ted McClelland
Water for Elephants, don't remember
My Name is Asher Lev, Chaim Potok
Under the Garden, Graham Greene
Pursuit and Persuasion, Sally Wright

Recently finished:
Knowing God, J.I. Packer
Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World, JoAnna Weaver

Still Reading:
Emotional Purity, Heather Arnel Paulsen [Crossway]
Getting Serious About Getting Married (a very interesting cultural critique thus far, don't be fooled by the title, it's not necessarily a dating book), Debbie Machen [Crossway]
Overcoming Sin and Temptation, John Owen [Crossway]
Don't Waste Your Life, John Piper [Crossway]
Prayer Coach, Jim Nicodem [Crossway]
Cry of the Heart, Quest of the Mind, Anes Zaka
Sound and Sense, Perrin
Encountering the World of Islam, ed. by Swartley
the Man From Snowy River and other verses, Banjo Paterson (pretty much every poem is another epic ode to a beautiful horse and Australian cowboy, haha)
Collected Poems of Emily Dickinson
Trust, Lydia Brownback [Crossway]
Contending for Our All, John Piper [Crossway]
More Precious than Gold, Sam Storms [Crossway]

Out of the library and sitting by my chair, but not yet started:
The Wisdom of the Chinese Kitchen, Grace Young
Culture Shock: China
Culture Shock: Hong Kong
Timeout: Hong Kong, Macau, and Guangzhou
China A to Z
the Rough Guide to Hong Kong and Macau
English, Wang Gang

What can be surmised about my life from this list?

1) I am planning a trip to China
2) I do not work all the time
3) I can buy cheap books at work
4) I read fiction books faster than non-fiction
5) I should not start any new books until I'm done with most of list #3

1 comment:

MamaTod said...

Grandma M. once said that she "dabbled" in books. I think that meant she started them, scanned them, read the endings, etc. but had a hard time finishing them. Perhaps you have a little of the same tendencies? I know I do when it comes to non-fiction books. It's also because I read primarily for entertainment rather than because I want to learn more, more, more.