Is to learn how to cook some British dishes and then be able to share
them with those of you who aren't able to get over here to visit. I
think that learning local dishes is one of the best souvenirs you can
pick up.
To this end, I'm learning what are some of the
traditional dishes are... just sort of filing away the names of things I
hear often, like "pudding"/"pud" for instance so that I know what type
of things I should make sure I've 1) eaten and 2) learned to make.
I
have not made any pud. However, I did also pick up a British food
magazine that talked about various British foods now in season-
chestnuts, celeriac (celery root), and leeks, for instance. And, I have
been eating and cooking with all 3 of the forementioned. I LOVE
CHESTNUTS! Yes, that has been my quirky self-revelation. Though I'm not
so fond of them when they get dry. But they're lovely in the Stilton,
Leek and Chestnut Tart which the magazine featured. They're pretty good
plain too. Also, the magazine had a recipe for potato and celeriac (or
wait, maybe it's parsnips, now I'm feeling forgetful of the recipe's
ingredients) gratin, which was also quite nice.
So, stay tuned, I'll be posting more pics and recipes of British food one of these days soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment