12 June 2009

Tuning Up

If you read this, even if you don't know me, or even if you know I don't know you read this...please comment on my poetry (ah! what a scary thing to say!). I like writing poetry, I am compelled to learn more about it, to become better at writing it and to find a way to use it to share what God is teaching me about...everything...and nothing all at the same time. But, if they're crappy (no comments on that point, mom, I know what you are thinking... :) ) people need to tell me, or if some point is heavy handed...I need to know. Right now, you are my only teachers. So, please instruct! But...maybe gently?!? :)

Fresh, from tonight....

"Tuning Up"

brilliant cacophony
of sound
bursts onto the scene
of everyday ordinaryness-
like the first shaft
of sunbeams
at 5:45 this morning.

they had spread garishly
across a once night sky
and warmed us
to the coming
brilliant sun-
like the wakening instruments
of a community concert
whose every discordant scale
promises harmonious happiness.

2 comments:

Sarah S. said...

did you know that my minor in college was writing? yeah, a split between technical writing and creative writing (of all weird combinations). i loved creative writing but i figured that it wouldn't get me as far in life as a focus in technical writing. so i took one more technical writing class than i did creative writing, which officially made my focus technical writing on paper. with all that said, i'll pretend like what i say matters. :)

your language is poignant and the imagery is concise. it's pretty dreamy and very lovely at the same time. i love the parallels between sound and light. it's my favorite kind of poetry really, not a ton of words, but bursting with imagery. well done, friend.

Sarah S. said...

PS. best word verification ever. in order to post my comment it made me retype the word "poodog"