08 April 2010

these feet were made for walking

For a few weeks my car has been acting...funny, almost like it wasn't getting enough gas at times. Kind of just, chugging along every once in awhile. I thought maybe it was bad gas, but a new tank didn't help. Or that Maybe it was the severe lack of an oil change, but the next day I loaned it to a friend and got panicky phone calls.

"Perhaps," I thought as I listened to her list what was going on, "these are just all the normal things, just all at once and she's not used to them..." But I got in my car at the end of the work day, turned it on and knew right then that the proper course of action was to drive it straight to the repair shop, without passing go or collecting 200 dollars. I wasn't sure it would make it that mile, but it did.

The next day I found out that my car was trying to be green, and use less energy, and conserve----by running on 2 cylinders instead of 4. Yeah, not so cool. But the estimated cost of repair, while not too pricey, was 100 over what I was willing to put into the car. After all, I wasn't planning on renewing the plates (plus eimissions testing here in my state) in June because that seemed like a lot of money to invest in it for a car I'd only be driving for about 6 weeks before moving overseas.

Dear Moriah is currently parked at the end of my street awaiting some new, lucky, unknown owner. And I am inside the house, contemplating the new lifestyle that awaits me for 3ish months. I won't have my own wheels. So, no spontaneous trips to the lumber store. No more free-wheeling to Michigan. Hello carpooling and walking and biking and maybe even bussing (if I feel adventurous). (And hello insurance money that I will NOT be paying!) My friend Karen has graciously offered to pick me up for church. Roommate/friend/co-worker Amy is willing to let me borrow her car once a week for errands and I am glad that IL is between MI and WI for the wedding next month.

In the meantime, I bought a cute rain coat and looked at some rain boots (though no purchase yet) and am actually, rather looking forward to walking and biking more places. The weather is getting nicer and my gym membership is canceled. Besides, I can't say I will argue with being forced to slow down and smell the roses a little.

It's funny that I would be saying this at the end of car ownership,  but, "Here's to freedom!"

2 comments:

MamaTod said...

It's the no more spontaneous trips to Michigan that brought tears to my eyes. And what if you don't move? :(

Sarah S. said...

Awww, oh no! Well you never know, this could be liberating! If Amy ever can't bring you to work (or take you home), give me a call and I'll give you a ride.

I didn't know you were such a fan of lumber...