23 October 2010

Amazing what happens....

when you are not in your home and don't have a rockin' social life yet. I have finished the following in about 3 weeks (well, the first book took a few weeks... the others I finished quite rapidly).

Seasons 1 and 2 of Lark Rise to Candelford, a coming of age stury set in rural England at the turn of the last century. A bit moralistic at some points, but I enjoyed it. It's a good series for a girls' night, or for watching while working on a project (like e-mails).






Book Seller of Kabul... you can read my review at http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9838.The_Bookseller_of_Kabul. Overall, I'm glad I read it. There are a couple of places she give more information than I want to know... and that isn't really necessary. I was talking with someone tonight about how she does, in some ways, betray the confidence of the family she lived with. However, I do think it is probably the closest look that most westerners can have to the inside of Afghani culture. So, it's at least a thought provoking starting point. Also read this article... Vindication for Bookseller of Kabul.





Curious Incident of  the Dog in the Night Time. Again, I liked it. Again, it gives you, I think, a fairly accurate insider's look at something most of us will not experience only this time it's Autism. It's a good story too.



Also, I managed to make Banana bread and Blueberry scones. Gluten Free and they turned out pretty well though. I've learned though that GF scones have to be eaten pretty much right away, they become hardtack pretty fast. :)

2 comments:

Sarah S. said...

Love The Curious Incident :)
Keep on writing, am loving reading along.

Rochelle said...

Nice! It's good keeping up with you on here! :) I'm glad you are enjoying the gluten-free baking. Blessings!