20 August 2011

My Name is Red, Pamuk

My Name Is RedMy Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Orhan Pamuk is a fantastic writer, his use of words can be practically mesmerizing and that really shows through in this book (kudos to the translator!).

The use of multiple narrators is an interesting literary feature.

The depth of knowledge of Persian and Turkish culture, history and art is rather remarkable. I learned a good deal on the history of art in the Islamic world from the book. Hopefully, they're correct facts. :)

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. But, Pamuk rather frequently makes reference to the sexual practices of the miniaturists and chooses to add a few scenes I wish weren't in the book. I'm not saying the topic should never come up, but his descriptions were too much at times and keep me from giving the book a higher rating or of unhesitatingly recommending it.

For the queasy, there are also a few brief scenes that might turn your stomach, it is, after all, a bit of a murder mystery.

All of that said, I am really in awe of Pamuk's ability to capture the voice of just about anything- from a gold coin to death to the "standard" voice of a person and to weave all the strands into an intriguing story of identity and the meaning of person-hood in changing cultures. One main theme is the issue of whether or not an artist should have their own style. The characters might have conflicting views, but one of the quotes toward the end of the book is very interesting to me and, as often the case, I find Pamuk's books interesting lenses with which to look at the culture and identity of individuals and groups.



View all my reviews

No comments: