23 August 2011

Peach Pie, or "Glorified Biscuit"

I know what you're thinking, my American readers, you're thinking "biscuit? Your peach pie can be compared to a biscuit? Gross." Not that kind of biscuit. I didn't want to fuss with making a decent Gluten-Free normal pastry crust, so, at my mom's suggestion, I used a cookie dough as the base. However, since it was a cookie recipe from an Australian GF cookbook, it's more of a British style biscuit than an American Cookie. Apparently, as I haven't made the dough into biscuits, ever, but it does taste more like a tea biscuit, more nutty or malty and less sweet than an American Cookie. (Which is a good sign for me, because British tea really goes well with British tea biscuits and I've been wanting a good biscuit with my tea at times lately.)

Enough blathering, here's the recipe:



Plain Sweet Biscuits (very slightly adapted from Gluten Free Cooking by Sue Shepherd)
90 g soy flour
150 g  fine cornmeal
2 T almond meal
2/3 t baking soda
1 1/2 t cream of tartar
125 g olive oil spread
165 g castor sugar
1 egg
1 sploosh vanilla flavoured syrup
And and extra bunch of cornmeal, I don't know how much, I was going until I get the right texture, probably another 100 g or so

Sift the dry ingredients (except for sugar) together very well. Mix the spread, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix together. Pat this into a pie or tart tin (I had enough for 1 pie pan and 2 small tart pans, probably could do 3 pies if thinner). I sprinkled with a bit more of the cornmeal (yes, in addition to the additional corn flour), as this helped me push it around better. Bake for 15ish minutes, at 180C, or until the cookie crust is golden brown. I poked with a fork part way through baking in the hopes that this would help eliminate excessive puffiness.



Filling

5 ripe peaches peeled, pitted and sliced
seeds from 1 cardamom pod
1 T olive oil spread
generous sprinkling of white sugar (probably about 1/4 cup)
1 chunk of brown sugar (1 T or so)
roughly 1/4 up of the corn meal/flour

Mix together over medium high heat and stir frequently while simmering until it thickens. Pour into the crust and bake at 180C for about 25 minutes or so, until it "sets" some, or until it looks reasonably set and you're worried about being really late for your meeting... (Also, I turned it up slightly at the end and wonder if cooking at a higher temp might not be bad from the beginning.)

Enjoy. :)



No comments: