First, a disclaimer. This is not entirely my own recipe. I've adapted it
from "Great British Food" issue 18, 2010. It was originally called
"Tart of Leeks, Stilton, and Chestnuts" and found on page 28. (Yes, I
did change more than the name. I added the mushrooms, upped the cheese,
cut out a couple ingredients, etc.) I've made it a few times now and
have really enjoyed it.
It is very tempting to eat it while it
is still warm from the oven. I'm not going to discourage a nibble of it
this way. BUT, I am going to say this: it's much better at room temp or
even slightly chilled. At room temp. the flavors and textures all come
out to play, not just the Stilton.
Ok, recipe.
Ingredients:
pie crust (I used Gluten Free shortcrust pastry, but regular pie crust would work)
25g butter (something like 1/3 c?)
2 leeks washed and chopped (if you don't have leeks, do a bunch and half green onions)
few handfuls of chestnuts*, roasted and chopped (you prob. could sub. walnuts)
100ml of white wine (or vinegar or balsamic vinegar)... and we all know I didn't really measure this, just pour a sploosh in
75ml double cream (or cream of any kind... or milk and a little extra fat if you have not cream) (1/2 cup?)
100g Stilton (or a milder blue cheese, if your prefer) (this is about 1 1/4 cup, I think)
couple handfuls of mushrooms*, rinsed and chopped
Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
Melt
the butter in a pan and add the leeks. Cook until tender, then stir in
the chestnuts and mushrooms and heat for another minute. Pour in your
acid (wine/vinegar) and simmer until it reduces by about 1/2 (happens
fast). Pour in the cream, bring to boil and remove from heat. Crumble in
the cheese and stir until melted.
Roll out your pastry and place
in the bottom of a tart or pie pan. Pour in the veg. mixture. Bake
for.... bake for... I can't remember... 20 minutes maybe? Until it
bubbles. Everything is already cooked, really, you're kinda just setting
it.
*A few handfuls is slightly more than a couple handfuls. Approx. 1/3 more. That is all.
No comments:
Post a Comment