03 March 2012

Victoria Sandwich

Those ladies I mentioned coming over to put together Masala? I decided to use up some royal icing (is that what is' called, the premade fondant stuff you roll out? Maybe it's just fondant...) Anyway, I decided to use it up so I made them a cake.

Victoria Sandwich:
Eggs, and their weight in fat, flour and sugar. Mix. Pour into enough pans. Bake at 180C/375F until the top is springy and not brown on the edges (ok, if you it's a little brown, no big deal. unless you're constantly watching it not sure how you are going to catch it at that perfect moment)

I put some leftover Morello cherry jam in between the layers and on top, rolled out the fondant, had a large hole on top, cut out some petals and spruced it up a bit, with the aid of some leftover frosting from Joy the Baker's beet root cake (which, by the way, is AMAZING!). If it hadn't been for that hole, there would likely not have been the lovely flower. (If you look closely enough, you can see where some of the cherry jam is coming out from under the flower...)

I thought it turned out pretty good. Not sure fondant is a great match for Victoria Sandwich, but that's OK, it wasn't bad.



No comments: